MOONRAY IS UNLIKE ALL OTHER SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLERS
Installing a solar panel system on a yacht or motorhome might be challenging. The solar panel industry mostly focusses on big fixed installations. However, the SUNBEAMsystem objective is to make equipment for non-stationary vehicles and boats. This requires the solar system setups to be much different from a home installation. One can identify five things that are essentially different in our line of business.
- Partial shadowing is much more frequent.
- Fewer or only one solar panel
- Prefer the connection of solar panels in parallel over serial
- Off-Grid charging of 12V DC batteries, not 230V AC
- The need for power efficiency and power conservation (don’t waste energy)
- The use of high-efficiency solar cells
MoonRay outperforms all other MPPT charge controllers when tested in real-life weather conditions. This will be obvious when in clouded or with partial shadow conditions where MoonRay will output the maximum possible charge thanks to its optimisation.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Above mentioned factors are the key to making a real charge controller optimised for yachts and motorhomes. And not just porting technology from a house roof installation.
MoonRay solves it all and this is how the optimisation functions:
- Charging will start when the solar panel(s) reach a voltage of 0.1V above the battery voltage(sometimes <0.9V). Even with ever so little power, it will add up on the total stored energy over the day. Especially in countries with cloudy weather or with the sun at low angles.
- The energy efficiency curve is extremely flat. You could compare this with a fine-tuned combustion engine. Where you have a good pull starting at low RPM’s all the way up to high RPM’s. Whereas an old-style MPPT would rather be very efficient at a specific (high) RPM only. At the cost of having low or no output at lower RPM’s.
- The MoonRay is a high performer even if with a non-optimized random size on the solar panel(s). In other words, choose your solar panel size/watt without limitation.
- The MoonRay will harvest more during the natural power fluctuations up and down. And is not limited to perfect angles and solar irradiation.
- MoonRay features an optimised MPPT algorithm for a lower solar panel voltage. It is also adapted for a solar panel Vmp in the range of 17 to 25 Volts. This to charge a 12V battery with a single solar panel or likewise many solar panels. (remember that parallel is the best solar panel installation on a yacht/motorhome)
On top of this, the self-consumption of 13mA (14mA for 320) is industry-leading for an MPPT solar charge controller in this size range. Ensuring a low energy waste.
Thanks to this versatility, it is also possible to combine multiple MoonRay’s together to control larger groups of solar panels. This makes it possible to optimise each group. So you can make groups according to the ever-changing conditions on a moving platform. Thanks to the Multi Connect App it is possible to collect information from all the controllers as if they were one and so monitor the combined system status.
With the optional SUNBEAMsystem Bluetooth Dongle, you gain full control of your system with the SUNBEAMsystem app. Not only does it feature real-time data at your hand, it also allows you to stack multiple MoonRay controllers in a single overview. Any SUNBEAMsystem SMART LITHIUM batteries installed in the system will automatically be included, allowing you to review the full system from the palm of your hand.
The new MoonRay MPPT solar charge controllers are truly optimised for use on yachts and Motor Homes.
The MoonRay is optimised for a typical installation on a boat or motorhome setup either with a single solar panel or with multiple solar panels connected in parallel and charging one or several 12V batteries.